Found the wordpress import-rss function and used it to pull in all the old posts from my journal. There were a few glitches, where it said posts were from 1969 or the like, but pretty easy to fix up. I guess I might look to swapping this in place of my journal link soon. I will need to figure out how to change the nirik-rss feed on livejournal that pulls from there however.
Archive for March, 2005
One nice thing about wordpress is that there is a lot of people using it, so there are some clever plugins out there. I installed a few of them here without too much trouble:
- BA Stats lets you basically get all the stats that would be in the httpd access_log, but in your database, so it’s easy to search on anything you like over any time period you want.
- Acropop is a silly plugin that lets you setup a list of words and a link/image that should popup when someone moves their mouse over the word. I set one up for one of the greyhounds, can you find which one?
- Authimage lets you make people who don’t have an account have to type in the wacky
word in the image thats displayed. I find those pretty anoying, but since they don’t appear if you are logged in, It seems an ok way to avoid spam.
Thats it for now, but there is a gigantic pile of plugins out there. Will have to look around some more.
My current foster greyhound Petey went for a teeth cleaning today. In general ex-racing greyhounds are very healthy. They don’t have any predisposition for hip dysplasia (in fact, the greyhound is the only breed of dog that has had no recorded cases of hip dysplasia) or any other medical problems, with one exception: many of them have lousy teeth. They accumulate tartar and need cleanings every year or so. For that reason I have been trying to brush my guys teeth every night, but it’s hard to remember to do so. There is a lot of discussion out there about the cause of bad teeth on ex-racing greyhounds, which can usually be put into 2 camps:
- Diet. These folks think that the soft, high protean diet that the dogs get while racing is the cause of bad teeth.
- Genetics. These folks think that it’s just a genetic issue thats just not been selected against.
I’m inclined to go with the Genetic reason. If it was just diet you would think that it would tend to decrease after retirement where the dogs have lots of dry kibble and other things to chew on. Still, it’s possible that it’s related to the formative time when their teeth are coming in.
I’m looking forward to the weekend. My friend R is coming into town tomorrow. We aren’t going anywhere exotic, just hanging around Denver, but it should be fun none the less. Thursday is St. Patricks day, so we will no doubt find some Guinness. Friday night we are going to a concert at the Fillmore down in Denver. Saturday is sushi and general wandering around. It should be a grand ol time.
Picked up R from the airport with no problems yesterday. After swinging back by my house, we went up to boulder for dinner/drinks. The walnut was OK, good food as always, although the beer wasn’t as good as it usually is I didn’t think. We decided after dinner that we should run by Connor O’Neils since it was St Patrick’s day. They had a line to get in. It wasn’t too bad, probably a 10min wait. Things were hopping in there! We had a nice time asking everyone that was trying to get by us to the bar “what is your favorite color?”, which really confused some people.
Tonight it’s off to the taste of chaos concert. I will be sure and wear ear plugs.
Well, the taste of chaos show was not bad. There were good things:
- Killswitch Engage was quite cool. Very good stage presence.
- Senses Fail was pretty good too. I might have to pick up their cd at some point.
- The Acoustic stage wasn’t a bad idea. It was off to the side and had bands playing when they were switching things between acts on the main stage
And a few bad things:
- It was an ‘all ages’ show, so they were not serving any booze at all. 🙁
- The other bands were pretty blah.
- Almost all of the women there were 15. Some of their mom’s were cute tho
Well, the rest of the weekend was pretty enjoyable. Had a very nice time wandering around with R. Saturday we went up to boulder and had sushi. It’s been ages since I had sushi and it was quite nice. Our waiter forgot a few items we ordered, but at least he didn’t charge us for them. After sushi it was back to my place for some drinking and uno playing.
Sunday we didn’t do much. I worked on xfce packages for Fedora Extras (Apparently I made a RedHat guy quite mad with some of the spec files, and he wanted me not to be a maintainer anymore, but I managed to talk to him on IRC and get the packages all up to his tastes.) A nice low key evening watching a Henry Rollins dvd. He’s quite entertaining, I need to make more of an effort to see him next time he comes through town.
Monday was work and trying to catch up on email and mailing lists and more xfce fixing. Dropped R off at the airport early afternoon.
Not a bad weekend all in all.
Managed to watch 3 of my 4 netflix this week, so I thought I would give some quick mini-reviews:
- Hellboy was much more enjoyable than I thought it would be. It was well done and amusing and all around a good time. The special effects were good, but not overshadowing of the story.
- Hidalgo was also enjoyable. It was pretty much a good old time western. Lots of horses, bad guns, gun fights, etc. I think Viggo did a pretty nice job playing a cowboy type. Omar Sharif was excellent as always. It was pretty predictable, but then what western isn’t?
- Croupier had a lot of promise that it just didn’t live up to. The story was nice and it was well done, but the main character never really made me care anything about him. He just sort of sat there and looked out. I think making the main character more likable and emotional would have helped it out a lot. I would suggest avoiding this movie unless you have a lot of time to kill.
Well, not a whole lot to report of late, just working and doing the routine. The Wed night GURPS game was postponed again, which was a drag. I was looking forward to the party delving deeper into the Necromancers tower. HackingSociety was delightful as always. I managed to generate some spec file patches for Xfce against the versions in FC3, so hopefully those will get merged and we will see some test updates out before too long.
In a few weeks hopefully I will be heading down to New Mexico for a turkey hunting expedition. That should be fun hiking around and looking for the elusive turkey. Then a quick trip down to Texas for ren faire gathering, then it will be nearly time for the faire here to be starting up. Good times.
Oops. Almost forgot to muse about April 1st. Tomorrow I am going to try not to bother reading many of the web sites I usually keep up on. They will be doing their normal, predictable, stupid April fools jokes. I would say in previous years the best of them have made me wonder if the story was true, and the other 99.999% have made me try and go on to real news. It’s not funny anymore guys (If it ever was). Just a lame excuse to make a bunch of poor jokes.